Monday, July 24, 2006

Why do I even bother?

Although you wouldn’t know to read them, I actually spend a good deal of time thinking through a column before I post it on the old blog. Lately, I haven’t had much time to think and so there hasn’t been anything to post. Nobody’s complaining either.

It’s difficult, on a regular basis, to write a coherent column on a single topic. Many columnists have taken to writing about four of five different subjects to get to their 600-700 word requirement. That’s fine and certainly easier to do, but I’ve always enjoyed the challenge of expounding on a single subject, trying to find few things to say about it that others may not have thought of. Often this will lead to excruciatingly dull analysis or pointless blather, two of the hallmarks of the work we do here at BlogFreeSpringfield. In fact, this column is quickly headed in that direction.

Now that I have a regular gig with the SJ-R, I’ve very much warmed-up to the idea of writing for money. You may be surprised to learn that despite the immense popularity of BFS, advertising revenues are non-existent and for whatever reason the MacArthur Foundation has been reluctant to bestow upon me one of their coveted “genius” grants. So more and more of the time I spend over-analyzing and blathering pointlessly is for gainful pursuits.

I have no plans to quit blogging. It’s a great medium. But along with original BFS commentary, this space will also become a repository for articles and essays that were rejected by paying publications. For those instances when my work is accepted and a check is on its way, I’ll use the blog to link to the work and also to engage in a little puffery.

I do admit that this whole blogging business seems pointless at times, sometimes even stupid. But then someone will call someone else a pompous douche bag in the comments section and it will all be worth it again.

So there you have it. I wrote almost 350 words just to say that I plan to keep blogging. It’s a gift.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats great, 350 words on the one topic. Keep blogging I find it interesting and i'm reading it.

take it easy

Anonymous said...

I have an idea. Why don't you set up a Paypal "Donation Button" on your blog site. You can write your blog and make money at the same time. Shoot, you might even get rich. I'm sure that Monkey Boy will make a donation. Wikipedia does it...... why not you?

ThirtyWhat said...

I'm glad to hear you'll still be posting to BFS. I check in frequently and I'm always happy to see a new post.

Anonymous said...

Dan, are you saying that the pompous douchebag comment rekindled your passion for blogging?

Sweet.

Anonymous said...

The pompous douchebag comment was good.

However, I have been trying to come up with one about a man who idiolizes other men so much that he dedicates an entire blog to them.

The only thing that keeps coming to mind is fag.

Sound familiar 26th Man?

Anonymous said...

It sure does, sailor.

What's wrong, Anon925? Did I hurt your feelings? Maybe a nice massage would help. *cue wah-wah guitar*

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

Gentlemen, a little civility please. And no wah-wah guitars. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Anonymous said...

He started it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like anon9:25 struck a nerve with 26th Man's feelings.

Or maybe a realization on 26's part that it is a little unnatural for a man, or boy, to be so infatuated with other men.

Do you have a bunch of autographs from Cardinal players proving that you were real close to them one time? There are studies that show a high percentage of those who idolize professional athletes to that degree are homosexual. If that scenario fits you 26 I have one suggestion; just Lance Bass it baby! Be free. You might be a happier person.

Give Albert a pat on the butt for us, OK?

Anonymous said...

Dan,
You better think of something to write about. Your readers, when left to their own devices, come up with some pretty pointless, baseless, worthless commentaries. So the guy likes the Cardinals. Who cares. It doesn't have to mean anything. Other than that he likes the Cardinals. Dan's blog is too smart and well-written and to get dragged down by these silly posts.

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

I'm afraid I started this by bringing up an old fued in the original post. I ought not do that.

Thanks for calling my blog smart.
Dan

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your writing. I'm a little dismayed that the SJR could appreciate it and actually pay for your work. I’ll watch for your byline but don’t give up blogging