Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Jimerica Industries

Jim Leach blogging again, too late, I might add, to stage a last minute run at the IT’s best blogger title. I’m convinced that Gotshoo will win thanks to his offer of a free blogger party should he emerge victorious. It’s a shameless offer to be sure, but also fiendishly clever.

Back to Jim. I have to admit that I was a bit surprised to receive an email from his “webmaster” asking me to update my link to Abelog’s new URL. I was immediately reminded of Darren from Kramerica Industries when he called to set-up a lunch engagement between Jerry and his boss. A blogger with a webmaster?

I’ve always considered blogging a solo pursuit, just a man or woman and his free software. Hiring staff adds a whole new dimension. It creates a caste system that could upset the delicate balance of the local blogging scene. What’s next, a team of interns, schooled in the political philosophies of the Jim Leach Show, who ghost-write Jim’s blog entries while he sips cognac with Jeff Lynne in a Birmingham recording studio. These big media types are all alike.

10 comments:

gotshoo.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gotshoo.com said...

BFS, I wish I was a "Shoe-in" for the Best of Springfield, but it is the 14th of September and the paper is due to come out in 7 days and I haven't heard a thing.

Would have been a great excuse for a party though.

I'd like to mention that I am trying to put together (currently at a turtle's pace) a central hub for Springfield bloggers appropiately titled "Spfldbloggers.com". So keep an eye out for that.

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

Gotshoo,

Do they usually notify the winners in advance? If so, I’m assuming that there is some sort of informal confidetiality agreement that the winners must adhere to until the “Best of” issue is published. This would mean that someone is harboring a secret. If it’s not you, ‘shoo, then I’d have to guess Dave. I’ll have to see if his writing has taken on a cat-that-ate-the-canary quality in recent days.

Thanks for commenting,
Dan

Russ said...

Taking clues from Job Conger's latest post, I would say that the winner already knows, and has probably been interviewed.

My guess is that the whole reason Jim Leach started blogging again is that somebody from the IT called and informed him that he had won Best Blog.

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

Russ,

Yeah, that seems to add up. I suppose that the people have spoken and now Jim has to blog or risk losing their allegiance.

At least my wife voted for me. Who did your wife vote for again?

Dan

Russ said...

Clearly, she was confused by the butterfly ballot.

You did do well in the 30-something, brunette, female, named Tammy demographic this year. But my new blog about purses, shoes, and appetizers is sure to turn the tide in 2007.

Dave said...

I haven't heard a thing, so it ain't me.

I do like the Leach-had-to-start-blogging-again theory though.

BUT…consider this: one local blogger is promoted EVERY WEEK in the IT. Maybe JP had the inside track all along.

The Eleventh Hour

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

Russ,

While you fight to win support from contemporary women, I'll be securing the all-important senior citizen vote by blogging exclusively on the ever-changing entree choices at Old Country Buffet.

Dave,

I hadn't thought of Jerome, but you're right, it could be an inside job.

No matter who ends up winning, I'm planning a conspiracy post and it looks as if Russ might call for an investigation into voting irregularities.

Thanks for commenting,
Dan

Will said...

I heard a rumor that Jim Leach attempted to organize the Red Hat Society to vote online for his blog in an effort to prevent a victory by BlogFreeSpringfield. Sadly, their grandkids all went back to college, too far away to show them how to use the internets.

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

Will,

I knew that my pursuit of justice against the Red Hats wouldn't come without consequences. If it cost me the accolades of winning Best Blogger, then it was worth it if I've educated even one person about their criminal ways.

Thanks for commenting,
Dan